Sunday, July 29, 2007

Random Health Items

I've been reading Men's Health quite a bit lately...especially now that I can actually relate to the articles instead of just wondering "what if".

A couple of things that have stood out from recent articles:

Interval Training on the Bike
In addition to doing the level variants, one article that talked about burning the "last 10 pounds" (I know, I have alot more than just 10 to go), it recommended doing interval training on the bike: 30 seconds at max speed with 60 second "break" in between (which means 30% of whatever "max" is). I'm going to try and incorporate that into my bike portions this week. Something like:
3 min @ lvl 3
3 min @ lvl 10
3 min @ lvl 20
3 sets 30/60 @ lvl 3

Cuban Press
A variation of the military press, this one works like this:
1. Stand holding light dumbells in front of you at thigh level with an overhand grip.
2.Pull the weights straight up until your arms are paraellel to the floor (like a standing/row motion)
3.Flip your arms so that they're now in a pre-military press position
4. Press the weights overhead
5. Return to starting position by doing the steps in reverse

I need to find Quinoa
Apparantly a miricle food that has "twice the protein of regular cereal grains, fewer carbs, and a dose of healthy fats". Can be used as a relacement for oatmeal, rice, grains, etc.

There is no special exercise for abs
There is no special, magical exercise for abs...or for losing the ring of body fat that's protecting my abs from the world. So here's what I think it comes down to:
- More cardio: Burn the calories, lose the fat. It's pretty simple.
- More crunches: I'm thinking (and I could be wrong) that if you work the muscles in an area, the fat around that area will get burned (?!). Regardless, I've been neglecting my abs for qutie a while. My trainer used to have me do 300 - 600 crunches a week...I'm doing maybe 50 to 100 if any at all. I need to re-implement these into my workout.

D

No comments: